A A A print this page

Cannon

Civil War CannonThe Civil War cannon is mounted beside a small grass-covered pit that was one of the original rifle pits used by the Federal Army in the third and last battle of Jackson during the Civil War. In 1916, Dr. John M. Sullivan, wishing to commemorate the historic rifle pits, secured the cannon from Senator John Sharpe Williams. Contrary to what one might assume, the cannon had never been on Mississippi soil prior to its arrival at Millsaps. It was shipped from New York City and was originally used by a Federal Division in New York during the Civil War.