Policies and Procedures
- All mail from departments will be billed according to the return address on the mail piece, unless otherwise noted by attaching a note to the bundle or piece of mail.
- Since the Post Office does not get all of its bills until after the first of each month, the Post Office will not be mailing out your bills until the middle of each month. Any questions or changes need to be addressed within 7 days of receipt of your bill.
- To ensure proper billing, all Millsaps College mail pieces must list the billing department, office or post office box number in the return address. Mail pieces that do not provide this information will not be mailed.
- Beginning November 23, 2008, the names and addresses of your mailings need to go through the National Change of Address (NCOA) file. The sorting houses we typically use have this file; some charge a cost for this service.
Your address files must be updated with the correct addresses the sorting house provides. Please allow time for this service in your mailings. These corrections must be kept for two years. Each of the sorting houses is able to do your complete mailing, which includes spraying on the address, tabbing, printing the permit or postage, and getting your mail ready for the post office, all at a cost.
Once you have your address files have run through the NCOA, you have 95 days to use the information. If you would like to use this file for another mailing you do not have to repeat the NCOA process if it falls within the 95 days. If it has been 96 days since the process, you must run your address files through the NCOA again.
- All mail will be sent first class unless otherwise noted on the bundle of mail.
- All international mail must be separated to insure proper postage is meter to the mail piece. Please note Air Mail on the mail piece under the return address not below the address.
- College personnel are welcome to place stamped personal mail in their departmental boxes for pickup. However, all personal mail without postage must be handled at the Post Office window, not by the Post Office couriers.
- Campus mail needs to be in box number order with a return name or address.
Ruth Stewart, Post Office Supervisor
Approved by: Vice President for Campus Services