Administrative Assistant for the Vice President for Institutional Planning and Assessment
Job Description Summary/Essential Duties
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the Vice President
for Institutional Planning and serves as the receptionist for Millsaps College.
Duties and Essential Job Functions
- Manages public relations by greeting guests and college visitors, constituents and
colleagues, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries, providing
information and assistance regarding department functions. Answers and responds to
telephone calls to the VP.
- Assists with maintaining the VP’s calendar, arranging meetings, classes, conferences,
teleconferences, and travel.
- Prepares and edits correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, and presentations.
- Organizes work by reading, routing and answering correspondence; collecting, maintaining
and prioritizing information; managing department procedures and telecommunications.
- Assists with organization of events by making guest travel arrangements, choosing
menus or purchasing food, reserving facilities, ordering decorations, preparing agendas
and programs and taking minutes.
- Monitors expenses by gathering and reporting budget information; facilitating and
monitoring invoices and purchase orders, scheduling and reconciling expenditures.
- Maintains office supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level;
anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying
receipt of supplies.
- Provides divisional support as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of customer service techniques.
- Knowledge of basic accounting practices.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Skills in problem solving and communicating resolutions.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to draft grammatically correct correspondence.
- Ability to evaluate and make recommendations to improve operations.
- Three-five years of work experience in an office environment is required.
- Must be able to work accurately and with absolute discretion and good judgment in
a fast-paced and demanding office, have excellent written and verbal communications
skills, and be able to interact effectively with individuals at all levels within
and outside the College.
- Must have strong computer skills and be proficient in the use of Microsoft applications
and have the ability to learn other software packages.
- A high degree of professionalism and initiative and the ability to work as a team
player are essential.
- This position requires the hand delivery of materials on campus and the ability to
Physical Requirements (With or Without Accommodations)
- Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials
- Able to speak clearly in conversation and general communication.
- Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone
systems, and face-to-face interactions.
- Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement
for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
- Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs.
- Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work
- There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job.
- The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
Applicants should submit a current resume, a letter of interest and three references
who may be contacted about the candidate’s experience and past performance. Review
of applications will begin on April 25 and continue until the position is filled.
Materials including resume, references and salary requirements should be submitted
via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Administrative Asst. - Assessment” in the subject line of the email.
Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Millsaps College
to offer equal educational and employment opportunities to all persons without discrimination
on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin,
disability, or veteran status. Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful
completion of a background screening.