Office of Intercultural Affairs and Community Life
August 2018 – May 2019
About the Specialist Position
The Millsaps College Division of Student Life offers post baccalaureate students the opportunity to gain invaluable work experience in student affairs and an ability to contribute to the programs and services of the Division for the academic year. The Office of Intercultural Affairs and Community Life (OIACL) is charged with maintain diversity and inclusivity as core values at Millsaps College.
This internship experience requires an average of 20-25 hours per week of work. Experience will be gained in a variety of settings including intercultural programming, student support and advisement, program evaluation, and program assessment.
- Assist with the planning, execution, and evaluation of programs and services from the Office of Intercultural Affairs and Community Life including: International Student Orientation, Cultural Cafes, Pan-African Student Welcome Event, Pride’s Visibility Week, Millsaps-Tougaloo Joint MLK Celebration, Mahogany Ball, Intercultural Graduation Celebrations, and other office-sponsored programs.
- Assist with the advisement of Intercultural Student Organization, Millsaps International Buddy System, Pan-African Student Alliance, Millsaps Pride, or other intercultural organizations.
- Participate in the on-going assessment of the programs and operations of OIACL.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of Intercultural Affairs’ web presence.
- Develop social and educational programming as directed by supervisor.
- Represent the Student Life and OAICL in campus meetings and committee work.
- Maintain professional communication standards through in person, phone, email, etc. with other staff and students.
- Maintain appropriate professional relationships with students, staff, and faculty.
- Other duties as assigned including assistance with special student life events.
To be eligible for the position, candidates must:
- Have obtained an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution,
- Be available to work from August 1, 2018 – May 31, 2019,
- Be willing to live on campus during the term of service, and
- Be able to participate in the college’s on-call rotation.
- $5000 for 10-month appointment
- On-campus housing
- Parking decal
- Hall Activity Center (recreational facility) membership and access
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to:
Demitrius Brown | Associate Dean of Intercultural Affairs and Community Life
1701 N. State St. #151063
Jackson, MS 39210