The Maintenance Technician (Electrical) reports to the Facilities Management Director
and is responsible for performing routine building maintenance tasks in the following
areas; general maintenance, HVAC, painting, minor repairs, carpentry, electrical,
plumbing and general cleaning.
- Proficiency required in repair/replacement/installation of various single and three
phase electrical systems and components to include but not limited to motors, switches,
wiring, conduit, communication lines, motor starters, contractors, fuses, lightbulbs,
and circuit breakers.
- Maintain and perform preventative maintenance on controls and related equipment; adjust
and calibrate equipment when necessary.
- Install and replace all types of pumps or refrigeration equipment, pneumatic valves,
electric valves, heat transfer equipment, ventilation, and air distribution equipment
according to prints, specifications, diagrams, or other instructions.
- Perform all repairs on pumps, compressors, and related equipment.
- Perform minor electrical and pipefitting repairs to HVAC systems.
- Troubleshoots fire alarm systems; maintains and repairs computer automated control
- Coordinates projects with outside contractors.
- Orders and secures materials for jobs as needed.
- Perform minor repairs and/or replacement of electrical fixtures, devices, and appliances
- Perform carpentry work when necessary to repair windows, doors, hardware, screens,
and furniture. Repair drywall, patch and finish.
- Observe and report, through the work order system, any and all defects, deterioration,
and wear and tear on the facilities.
- Assist in coordination major repairs, painting, and setting up within scheduled periods.
- Communicate, as directed, with key administrative and staff personnel on special events
and functions scheduled for the campus that may require special furnishing arrangements
and other services that may be required.
- Assist as required and cooperate with all tradespeople in the performance of day-to-day
duties and responsibilities.
This list is representative of those duties and responsibilities that are required
of this position. However, the list is not to be considered as all inclusive. The
Director may assign other duties to meet mission requirements of the College and cooperation
of all personnel is expected to carry out the mission.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to plan, organize, control, and direct all aspects of required corrective
and preventative maintenance for the campus.
- Ability to work within the overall organization of the Facilities Management and work
with skilled and unskilled personnel and administrators.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills and be able to follow oral
and written instructions. Ability to express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills.
- Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or when needed to meet
the ongoing missions of the College.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Mississippi driver’s license.
- Must successfully complete a background check.
- Color vision.
- Ability to lift, push, and/or pull minimum 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb ladder and step ladder.
- Must be able to bend at waist, sit, kneel, lie horizontally, climb, walk, and reach
as job may require.
- High school diploma or GED. Some college or technical school or degree desired.
- Ten years’ experience in the care and maintenance of similar facilities; or any combination
of education, training, or experience that fulfills the requirements of the position
and needs of the College.
- Qualified applicants should submit a current resume, a letter of interest, and three
references who may be contacted about the candidate’s experience and past performance.
Materials should be submitted via email to Michael Switzer, Director of Facilities
Management, at email@example.com. Please write “Electrical Maintenance Technician” in the subject line of the email.
Materials may also be delivered to Millsaps College, Attn: Michael Switzer, 1701 N.
State Street, Jackson, MS 39210, or
- Applications may be completed in the Office of Facilities Management, 1701 N. State
Street, Jackson, MS 39210.
Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Millsaps College
to offer equal educational and employment opportunities to all persons without discrimination
on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin,
disability, or veteran status. Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful
completion of a background screening.