Student Life Campus Life Specialist
About the Specialist Position
The Millsaps College Division of Student Life offers post baccalaureate students the
opportunity to gain invaluable work experience in student affairs and an ability to
contribute to the programs and services of the Division for the forthcoming year.
The internship experience is a mid-May to March commitment and requires an average
of 20-25 hours/week. Experience will be gained in a variety of settings including
orientation and first year experience, campus life, and program assessment and evaluation.
- Coordinate, organize, and implement the New and Transfer Student Orientation for the
Academic Year 2017-2018 with the assistance of the Coordinator and Director of Campus
- Participate in 2017 Foundation Leader hiring process with Foundations Directors.
- Attend training conference with Foundations Directors and Campus Life staff.
- Assist in planning, organize, and implement the 2017 Orientation Leader training with
Foundations Directors and other Campus Life staff.
- MCollect and maintain accurate records and assessment for the orientation programming
- Develop programming social, relational, and educational as directed by supervisor.
- Professionally communicate in person, meetings, phone, email, etc. with other professionals
and student staff.
- Other duties as assigned, including assistance with fraternity and sorority recruitment,
late night campus programs, and special student life events.
- Ability to work with deadlines and effectively manage time.
- Ability to be self-directed, self-motivated, and work independently with supervision.
- Excellent organizational ability/skills.
- Ability to delegate tasks to students.
- Public relations skills: assertive, helpful, sensitive and tactful in working with
- Ability to manage details accurately such as proof reading, scheduling, coordinating
events, maintaining records.
- Able to accept and respond to constructive criticism.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficient in social media.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Friendly, flexible, and adaptable.
To be eligible for the position, candidates must have obtained an undergraduate degree
from an accredited institution. The specialist must also be willing to live on campus
during the term of service—housing will be provided in one of the college residence
hall apartments. This individual will also assist in the College’s on-call rotation.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Millsaps College
Director of Campus Life, Will Takewell, at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail your application
to Will Takewell 1701 N. State Street, #151063 Jackson, MS 39210. Please feel free
to reach out via email or phone call 601.974.1204 with any questions.
Millsaps College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Millsaps College
to offer equal educational and employment opportunities to all persons without discrimination
on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin,
disability, or veteran status. Eligibility for employment is contingent upon successful
completion of a background screening.