Federal Work Study Community Service Program
The Federal Work Study Community Service Program (FWSCS) encourages students who are
awarded work study funds to work for the community. Community services are provided
through jobs with local nonprofit, governmental, and community-based organizations
and are designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly
low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs.
These services include such fields as health care, child care, literacy training,
education (including tutorial services), welfare, social services, transportation,
housing and neighborhood improvement, public safety, crime prevention and control,
recreation, rural development, community improvement, emergency preparedness and response,
support services for students with disabilities, and activities in which an FWS student
serves as a mentor for such purposes as tutoring, supporting educational and recreational
activities, and counseling, including career counseling.
What are the benefits of taking a Community Service Work Study position?
- You can help improve the quality of life of members of your community.
- You can earn your Federal Work Study funds.
- You will gain solid work experience.
- You will acquire professional contacts and networking opportunities in your community
- You can make a difference!
What do I need to know about Community Service Work Study?
- Students must submit the FAFSA and qualify for Federal Work Study annually.
- The standard Community Service award is $800 per semester or $1600 per year.
- Students work between 4 - 10 hours per week.
- Students are paid monthly by Millsaps according to the payroll schedule.
- Students will be required to complete the following forms before beginning work:
These documents must be supplied in person, with acceptable ID's, to the Millsaps
Student Employment Office.
How do I apply for a Community Service Work Study position?
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually, answering yes to the question asking if you are interested in being considered
- Check Major Portal to see if your current Financial Aid Award Letter includes Federal Work Study.
- In College Central select Students, click to create an account, and input your Millsaps login and password.
Once you have created an account, click “Search Postings to My School” and search
for positions with job type as Work Study and job titles containing FWSCS. Note the
Job ID of any position which interests you
- Submit the Student Employment Application or click Apply Online at the bottom of any College Central job posting. NOTE: you
may list more than one Job ID on the same application.
- Notify the Office of Financial Aid at email@example.com or 601.974.1220 that you are applying for a position.
- Complete additional documentation as requested by the Millsaps Office of Financial
Aid and the Work Site.