Attention 2017 Graduating Students!
Congratulations, students, you are almost there!
Get commencement information on:
Special Needs Campus Access | Photos | Videos | Hotels | Restaurants
- For undergraduate students who are approaching graduation, schedule your core/major/degree
audit with the Office of Records. Meeting with the Office of Records for your audit ensures you have all classes you
need to graduate. During this meeting, you will also need to apply for graduation by filling out this form. On that form, you will need to include cap, gown, and diploma order information.
- For graduate students who are approaching graduation, meet with Graduate School’s
Director of Administration, Naomi Freeman, to ensure you have all the classes you need to graduate. Also be sure to fill out this form for the Office of Records to make your intent to
graduate official and to order your cap, gown, and diploma.
- Check with your parents or guardians to make sure they have received detailed information
from the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations regarding commencement and hotels. Any questions may be directed to this office at email@example.com or by calling Lee Anne Bryan at 601.974.1007.
- Order your graduation announcements/invitations from the Bookstore / Herff Jones so you can mail your family and friends invites to the commencement ceremony. While
you can order as early as February, the deadline for ordering is Friday, March 31.
- Check Commencement information for details on times and locations.
- MAcc and MBA degree candidates or undergraduate degree students completing the Honors Program may wish to purchase academic hoods. Students who are candidates for summer graduation
may purchase a hood, but they will not be hooded during the ceremony. The cost of
a hood is $100. Contact the Office of Records by Monday, March 27, to order your hood, and make payment to the Business Office
by noon on Friday, May 5.
- Please consider what you want to wear to commencement. Proper commencement attire
includes cap and gown. It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothing underneath
the gown, as commencement exercises are scheduled for the Bowl and it can get warm.
Dark, comfortable, closed-toe shoes are also recommended, as higher heels can be challenging
on the grass. Caps should be worn at all times, but may be removed as indicated by
the actions of the Vice President and Dean of the College.
- For undergraduates, the Writing Center invites submissions of Core 10 essays for consideration
for this year's Laney Award. This is one of three awards presented at Commencement. Read more about the Laney Award and how to submit. Submissions are due by Monday, April 24.
- Pick up your cap and gown from the bookstore on Wednesday, May 3, Thursday, May 4,
or Friday, May 5, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. prior to Saturday’s graduation.
- Undergraduates, attend The Last Hurrah on Thursday evening, May 4, 7 until 10 p.m. Register here.
- Attend graduation rehearsal Friday, May 5 at 2 p.m. The rehearsal is mandatory for
all degree candidates (both undergraduate and graduate). We will meet in the Recital
Hall in the Gertrude C. Ford Academic Complex. If you have a conflict, please contact
Dr. Nathan Shrader at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601.974.1438.
- At rehearsal, be sure to fill out the graduate information sheet for the Alumni Office so we can keep up to date with you as an alum. Also fill out the Career Center survey.
- Meet with the Post Office about having your mail forwarded from your campus box to
a new address. You’ll need to fill out this form to have mail forwarded.
- Order any official transcripts you may need to be sent to graduate school or your
new employer through the Office of Records.
- Attend the baccalaureate service on Friday, May 5. The service begins at 6 p.m. at
Galloway United Methodist Church. You will meet in the church gathering area and line up on the mezzanine level. Academic attire
(caps and gowns) is required.
- On Saturday, May 6, at 8:30 a.m., you will meet in the atrium of the Gertrude C. Ford
Academic Complex where you will secure your numbered cards. Academic attire (caps
and gowns) is required. At 9:30 a.m., commencement activities will begin in the Bowl.
In case of rain, the ceremony will be held at Christ United Methodist Church at 6000 Old Canton Road, Jackson, MS 39211. Please note that if commencement exercises are moved to Christ United Methodist Church,
the start time will be moved back one hour to 10:30 a.m.
- After commencement, please return your gowns no later than 11:45 a.m. in the first-floor
atrium of the Gertrude C. Ford Academic Complex. In case of rain, you will be notified
of a different location for robe return. You can keep your cap!
- If you would like to purchase any Millsaps gifts, accessories, or apparel, the bookstore
is open from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the day of commencement (except during the ceremony).
You can also order online later.
- Residence halls and fraternity houses will close Saturday, May 6, at 5 p.m. In addition,
your Millsaps ID card will no longer work several days after the term ends.
- After you have left campus and are settled, don’t forget to order photos or a video from commencement.
- Information Technology Services (ITS) will disable and delete your @millsaps.edu email address early in the fall semester after
you have graduated. If you plan on attending graduate school at Millsaps College,
please let ITS know by emailing email@example.com so they do not disable/delete your account. If you are not continuing your education
at Millsaps, be sure to clean out your email and start letting your contacts know
of your new (non-Millsaps) email address before its disabling.