Call for Submissions Deadline: Monday, January 23, 2012
Genres Accepted: Poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction*, one-act plays, photography, & visual artwork.
* Examples of creative non-fiction may include, but are not limited to, the following: personal essays, memoirs, travel writing, food writing, biography, and literary journalism.
- Works previously or simultaneously published in other publications should not be submitted.
- Please do not submit works that have been co-produced.
- All entries must be submitted by email as an attachment in MS Word (.docx are acceptable) or JPEG format (.jpg) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send us your original work or include contact information within the submissions themselves. Such information should be provided on the Cover Sheet.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a completed Cover Sheet (PDF). Submissions lacking a Cover Sheet will not be considered for publication. The Cover Sheet should be returned with the electronic submission as a separate attachment. Download a copy of the Cover Sheet (PDF).
- You may enter as many categories as you wish. For multiple submissions in multiple categories, please separate each piece into its own, appropriately titled document or JPEG file that corresponds with the information provided on the Cover Sheet. Note that contributors will be limited to a maximum of four works published per category (photography, visual art, prose, and poetry). Only one submission will be chosen for the cover art.
Genre Submission Guidelines
- Poetry: Please submit poems of 100 lines or less. You may submit as many poems as you like.
- Fiction (Short Story): 4,500 word limit. You may submit as many stories as you like.
- Creative Non-fiction: (Not to be confused with academic writing) 4,500 word limit. You may submit as many essays as you like.
- One-act play: 4,500 word limit. You may submit as many plays as you like.
- Photography: Digital photographs may be in color or B&W. Please send photo files 3-10 MB in size to ensure high resolution. All photographs of visual art must be submitted as JPEG (.jpg) format. You may submit as many photos as you like.1
- Visual Art: Digital photographs of paintings, ink drawings, charcoal drawings, colored pencil drawings, sculptures, etc. are accepted. Photographs may be in color or B&W. Please send photo files 3-10 MB in size to ensure high resolution. All photographs of visual artwork must be submitted as JPEG (.jpg) format. You may submit as many photos of visual artwork as you like.1
- *NEW* Cover Art: One submission will be chosen for the cover of the 2012 Stylus. Cover art should be submitted in the form of an image (jpg). We request that the design be in the spirit of Stylus, that is, with a focus on the creative minds of the Millsaps student body. Submissions should include reference to any of the following: writing, studio art, photography, theater, music, dance, Millsaps, or creativity in general. Consider how it would wrap the book cover. Also consider using the title of the book, "Stylus," in the image
1Be aware that, due to restrictions on the number of color pages in the book, some color photographs/visual artworks may need to be converted to black & white for publication. This will not be done without the artist's permission.
NEW for 2012: Need a little extra inspiration to get those creative juices flowing? We challenge you to explore the idea of space. Pick your favorite medium (or go ahead and use all of them) to represent space, and submit your new creations about the idea. Let us know on your cover sheet which submissions you would like to be considered for this section.
If you have ANY questions, concerns, or conflicts with the Submission Guidelines, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com. These guidelines exist not to curtail your artistic license, but to facilitate the publication process for the Stylus Staff.
For more information about Stylus or feedback, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.