Student Health Insurance

To a healthier you!

Insurance Requirements

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), commonly called Obamacare, is a federal law aimed at making health care more affordable, accessible and of a higher quality. The individual shared responsibility provision of the law requires most people to have qualifying health coverage or pay a penalty unless you qualify for an exemption from this requirement. Additional information regarding the requirements of PPACA can be found at

Domestic Students

Millsaps College does not offer a student health insurance plan. The college requires that domestic students comply with health insurance regulations as federally mandated by the PPACA as referenced above.

Insurance Options

The following information is being provided to assist students in securing insurance plans. This is not an all-inclusive list of available options.

  • Stay on your parent’s insurance plan: Most people under age 26 can stay on (or join or return to) their parent’s insurance.
  • Enroll through the Health Insurance Marketplace (sometimes referred to as “the exchange”): To enroll, visit
  • Employer-provided coverage: If you have a job, you may be eligible for insurance through your workplace.
  • Medicaid: Medicaid provides health coverage for eligible, low-income populations in Mississippi. These populations include children, low-income families, pregnant women, people age 65 or older and people with a disability. Information regarding Medicaid can be obtained at
  • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP): CHIP provides health coverage for uninsured children up to age 19 years old. Information regarding CHIP can be found at
  • Purchase coverage from an independent vendor.

Student Athletes

Student athletes are required to have health insurance in order to participate in any intercollegiate sport. Please refer to the Athletic Department for additional information and the required insurance forms.

International Students

Millsaps requires all international students (F-1 visa holders) to be enrolled in one of International Student Protection’s insurance plans:

Trailblazer Plan

Pioneer Plan (for varsity athletes)

Student accounts will be billed along with tuition and fees for International Student Protection’s premium rate and will receive an insurance card during orientation. These plans provide basic coverage. You should carefully consider your individual needs for health care coverage and can take an additional policy if appropriate. U.S. citizens abroad or other visa categories must ensure they have sufficient health coverage.

Please note: If you are an international student who is also a U.S. citizen, you are ineligible for the International Student Protection (ISP) plan but must still provide proof of health insurance coverage. Please provide proof of coverage through either a parent’s plan or a separate policy to the international student adviser or the Millsaps Business Office.