Military Aid Program

The Educational Benefits of Service

Thank you for your service to our nation! Millsaps is thankful for the opportunity to support active-duty military, veterans, reservists, National Guard members, ROTC cadets and the spouses and children of our military. Millsaps is dedicated to connecting you with the right financial aid and resources.

How do I apply?

Students who are eligible for the GI Bill and other VA education benefits and are interested in applying to receive these benefits, should contact the VA directly. You can find information about applying for benefits on the VA website. All applications for veteran benefits are submitted online.

Veterans wanting to use their VA educational benefits for the first time should apply online here and complete a Form 22-1990, Application for Educational Benefits, to receive a Certificate of Eligibility.

If educational benefits have previously been used, complete a Form 22-1995, Change of Program of Place of Training, online here to receive a Certificate of Eligibility.

After your application to the VA, please submit the following items to the Millsaps College Office of Records:

  • Copy of submitted 22-1990 or 22-1995
  • Certificate of Eligibility (required—Millsaps must have)
  • Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214)
  • A printed-out copy of the Millsaps VA Application

    Please keep copies of all applications for your records.

How much money can I receive?

The amount of tuition and other assistance available to veterans varies depending on which benefit chapter the veteran (or their dependent) is eligible for. Current benefit rates are available on the VA website, or calculate your benefits with the VA’s estimated benefits calculator.


The Office of Records is the primary contact for military education benefits. Please review the information below and let us know if you have any questions. The designated person to serve as the point of contact for service members at Millsaps College is Kimberly Alcorn. She is our School Certifying Official (SCO). She may be contacted via phone at 601-974-1124 or via email at [email protected].

GI Bill Chapters

Types of VA Education Benefits/Comparison Charges/Payment Rates

There are various types of VA education benefits and veterans may be eligible for several different programs. You can find information about each program on the FA website.

Department of Defense Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) Programs

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions. For more information about these programs, go here.


The Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) is a college program offered at more than 1,700 colleges and universities across the United States. ROTC college financial assistance is offered through the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force. More information about each military branch ROTC program is available here.

Millsaps Yellow Ribbon Program

The VA’s Yellow Ribbon Program is a benefit in which Millsaps partners with the Department of Veterans Affairs to ensure that Yellow Ribbon 100% eligible recipients receive matching institutional funds to cover tuition and fees. If you become eligible for Yellow Ribbon benefits, we will adjust your financial aid award accordingly and send you a revised financial aid award. If you are an incoming student and believe you will be eligible for Yellow Ribbon benefits, please notify the Office of Admissions immediately so that your financial aid can be adjusted in a timely fashion. Millsaps merit scholarships are not stacked on top of the Millsaps Yellow Ribbon award. However, if Yellow Ribbon benefits do not cover 4 years, the initial Millsaps merit scholarship will be made available to the student when Yellow Ribbon benefits expire.

To begin the process for VA Yellow Ribbon benefits, apply for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits here. If you qualify for benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Provide a copy of your COE to the Millsaps Office of Records. Along with your COE, you will also need to complete and return a VA Information Sheet, which can be downloaded here.

Other Military Scholarships


Can I be eligible for two or more education benefits?
Yes; however, you may only receive payments for one program at a time. You can receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits under any combination of VA education programs in which you are qualified.

Which chapter should I choose?

See benefit comparison chart here:

Policies Specific to Service Member Students

Readmit: Millsaps allows service members and reservists to be readmitted to a program if they are temporarily unavailable to attend class or have to suspend their studies due to service requirements. This is also applicable to those service members who are temporarily unable to attend class for less than 30 days within a semester due to a military service obligation and when such absence results in a withdrawal under institution policies.

Contact Us

The designated person to serve as the point of contact for service members at Millsaps College is Kimberly Alcorn. She is our School Certifying Official (SCO). She may be contacted via phone at 601-974-1124, via email at [email protected]. If service member students have other questions, please see the contacts below.

For academic advising, please see Dr. Jennifer Lewton-Yates, director of academic advising and student support.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 601-974-1327

For financial advising, please see Cindy Monroe, Director of Financial Aid.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 601-974-1221

For disability counseling, visit the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Services page.

For help with a job search, please see Ryan Colvin in the Center for Career Education.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 601-974-1346

For student support services, please see Dean of Students Megan James.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 601-974-1225

For help with student accounts or billing, please see Jaime Finseth in the Business Office.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 601-974-1126

Latest News

Q&A with Victoria Gorham

Q&A with Victoria Gorham

Millsaps was a transformative institution for me. I always knew I wanted to teach at a liberal arts college like it when I finished graduate school.

read more